Empowerment Tips > Online Security
To stay secure online…
- Choose passwords that are as long as permitted. Use combinations of capital and lower case letters, numbers and symbols.
- Change passwords on a regular basis, especially those used for financial accounts.
- Always change passwords by logging into your account via the company’s website. Never try to access a log-in page by clicking on a link in an email.
- Install virus protection software and a firewall. Keep all applications updated, preferably automatically.
- If your PC seems sluggish for no apparent reason, check for a virus and for spyware. Run a full scan of your system with your updated virus scanning software and do a full check with your anti-spyware software. Note: A free version of anti-spyware is available from SUPERAntispyware.
- If you want to learn more about threats to your computer, visit the United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team website.
- Check out the tips for securing your computer at OnGuardOnline.
- Lock your computer when not in use.