Empowerment Tips > Auto Purchases and Repairs
Be aware of the following when you buy a car or have it repaired…
- The Massachusetts Lemon Law protects new car buyers against serious defects for one year or 15,000 miles.
- The Used Car Warranty Law provides limited protection against defects that impair the use or safety if the car cost more that $699 and has less than 125,000 miles.
- The Lemon Aid Law applies to vehicles that fail inspection within seven days of purchase. Under certain circumstances, and if the provisions of the law are followed, the buyer may be able to return the vehicle for a refund.
- Upon request you must be given a written estimate for car repairs. The repair shop must get your permission to do a repair if the job is $10 over the estimate.
- A buyer does not have a three-day right to cancel a contract to purchase a vehicle.